In this day and age of so much of our marketing being done online via websites and blogs it’s important to make your copy and communications stand out in a way that your target audience really understands.
The great news is that, although you might not think of yourself as a writer, you have everything you need to be able to write killer copy for your website, sales pages, blogs and more.
You just need to know how to present what you already know!
Here are 5 simple steps to writing your own killer copy.
- The Meaning Of Communication Is The Response You Get
It’s important to understand this principle. If you are not getting the desired response from your marketing efforts, you may need to tweak your message. Follow the next 4 steps and see if you see an uptake in your results. It is your responsibility to be understood, not the responsibility of the reader to understand.
Simple, clear, easily understood.
- The Inverted Pyramid
The inverted pyramid is the most common method for writing stories and this is also the common way of writing news. It refers to the level of importance of the difference pieces of your copy.
- Top priority is your attention grabbing headline
- Next is the most newsworthy information eg Who? What? When? Where? Why? How?
- Now you tell your audience other important details
- And then you record other general or background supporting information.
It’s the same for any communication. Make it easy for your reader to find the information that they are most interested in, then give them the details later on in the piece. With each level get deeper into the details, or provide supporting information related to the headline and most newsworthy info.
- Know Your Audience
I think that this is the most important part of this whole topic. The more you understand your audience, the more you can tailor your message to appeal to them. A few guiding questions to ask that you can apply to any of your comms:
- Keep It Short – Share only what people need to know; if they want more, they can ask you or you can direct them to where they can get more.
- What do they need to know? This is not an opportunity to look smart, it’s about sharing and serving your audience with something useful and accessible.
- Who needs to know this? What will happen if I don’t share this information? What will happen if I do?
- Make every single word count. Don’t be overly verbose for the sake of it and avoid jargon wherever possible.
- Keep It Simple
Remember if you can’t explain it to a 6 year old then you don’t understand it yourself. I see a lot of communication that people use as an opportunity to show how smart they are. That makes the writer feel great, but potentially alienates their audience which is not what your aim is.
To stand out, you need to be understood straightaway.
- Call To Action –
Do you want your readers to act on the information that you have shared? If so, tell them! They can’t read your mind. Tell them what they need to do, why they need to do it and by when.
- It’s your responsibility to be understood, not the reader’s responsibility to understand
- The Inverted Pyramid – put the most important information at the top
- Know your audience
- Keep it simple
- Call to action
And that’s 5 Simple Steps to Writing Your Own Killer Copy.
If you want to know more about writing for your dream clients so that they come running apply for a Breakout & Breakthrough Strategy Session here. I only open up a few of these sessions each month and once they’re gone, they’re gone, so ACT NOW! (see what I did there? 😉 )